- B.A., Texas A & M University, 1975
College Station, Texas
- J. D., South Texas College of Law, 1978
- Reared on a sheep and goat ranch in Uvalde County, Texas. Graduated Nueces Canyon High School, Barksdale, Texas 1971; Southwest Texas Junior College, Uvalde, 1973.
- Assistant City Attorney, El Paso, 1979-80; Assistant U.S. Attorney, Western District of Texas, El Paso, 1980-81; Associate, Peticolas, Luscombe & Stephens, El Paso, 1981-83; Assistant Federal Public Defender, Western District of Texas, El Paso and Pecos Divisions, 1984 to 2013 (Supervisory Assistant since 1987).
- Former President, El Paso Young Lawyers Association; former director, El Paso Bar Association; former member, El Paso City Plan Commission.
- Outstanding Assistant Federal Defender (2000), National Association of Federal Defenders.
- Foreign advisor, International Senior Lawyers Project/Mongolian Foundation for Open Society Institute, June 2004.
- Former member, Director's Advisory Council, Museum of the Big Bend; former member, Board of Directors, Marfa Public Radio.
Development Director, Marfa Public Radio - 2014
- Director, State Bar of Texas, 2005-2008. Life Member, Center for Big Bend Studies. Board of Trustees, Texas Nature Conservancy. Member, Philosophical Society of Texas.
- Traveled extensively in Mexico, Central and South America; Europe and Asia. Speak Spanish daily in life and work. Circumnavigated the globe in 73 days, without flying, traveling by Amtrak and freighter, Fall 2013.